- Motherboard: ASRock z77 Extreme4 (LGA 1155)
- RAM: Corsair Vengence 4GB (x4) 1600 MHz DDR3
- CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k 3.7 GHz
- GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3
- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard died (tried multiple power supplies and removal of hardware to troubleshoot, wont post at all).
So I am salvaging what I can and looking to upgrade.
I have been out of the PC hardware market for so long that it was kind of
intimidating to look at what was out there. I decided it was time to review what
my requirements looking forward for new hardware would be and what might meet my needs.
Besides games, which I am not really playing that much in the past few years
most of my issues were with RAM and CPU speed. Running multiple VMs for school
is quite common and I have had a few sticks of RAM go bad over the years, I have
been running on 8GB for a few years and it has been painful.
- Virtual Machines (Windows Server, Kali, Ubuntu)
- Application and Web Development: Android Studio, Jetbrains IDEs etc
- Firefox with tons of tabs open
Aiming for 16GB of RAM
I dont need a new GPU, case, PSU, SSDs etc. I just need: motherboard, cpu, ram
AMD has apparently become relevant again which makes this decision much harder.
Intel is traditionally more expensive and I would like to support more competition
in this market so lets take a look at what AMD is offering these days.
Ryzen 5 seems to be the competitor for the 7th gen Intel core i5 so lets check it out.
From reading these two appear to be what I am looking for:
- X370 (Enthusiast)
- B350 (Mainstream)
I think pretty much everything now has UEFI BIOS so that is good
- CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $283.99 Amazon Canada
- Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $145.00 Vuugo ($20.00 mail-in rebate)
- Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $219.99
Still on budget